By Njonjo Mue
What you need to know:
- In January 2021, President Uhuru Kenyatta unlawfully awarded all 2,224 Members of the County Assemblies (MCAs) in the country a car grant of KSh. 2 million each amounting to a total of KSh. 4.5 billion. He ignored the advice of the Controller of Budget who warned that the car grant was illegal.
- The car grant was a bribe given by the President from the public purse to the MCAs to entice them to support the BBI Constitutional Amendment Bill.
- The car grant was given at a time when the whole country was suffering from the Covid-19 pandemic and its negative consequences of massive job losses, collapsed businesses, and the government’s inability to provide adequate public healthcare for its people.
- In a letter dated 29th April 2021, the President was requested and required to recall and cancel the car grant that was given to the MCAs and apply the funds to other more deserving and pressing public necessities
- The President has failed, refused and or neglected to recall and cancel the illegal car grant to MCAs.
- This failure has led to the issuing of Peoples Proclamation Number 3 of 2021 below demanding directly from the MCAs that they must BRING OUR MONEY BACK!!
REPUBLIC OF KENYA
PEOPLES PROCLAMATION NUMBER 3 OF 2021
IN THE MATTER OF ARTICLE 1 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF KENYA, 2010
AND IN THE MATTER OF ARTICLE 201 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF KENYA, 2010
AND IN THE MATTER OF ARTICLE 206 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF KENYA, 2010
AND IN THE MATTER OF CHAPTER 6 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF KENYA, 2010
AND IN THE MATTER OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC AND ITS NEGATIVE EFFECTS ON THE ECONOMY AND THE PEOPLE’S LIVELIHOODS
AND IN THE MATTER OF THE FAILURE OF THE GOVERNMENT OF KENYA TO PROVIDE ADEQUATE HEALTHCARE AND COMPENSATE PUBLIC HEALTH WORKERS ADEQUATELY TO ENABLE THEM TO DEAL WITH THE COVID – 19 PANDEMIC
AND IN THE MATTER OF THE CAR GRANT UNLAWFULLY AWARDED TO MEMBERS OF THE COUNTY ASSEMBLIES (MCAs) BY PRESIDENT UHURU KENYATTA IN JANUARY 2021
WHEREAS We the People of Kenya, particularly ordinary citizens, have over the last fourteen months endured the Covid-19 pandemic which has resulted in numerous infections and deaths of our loved ones
AND WHEREAS as a result of the pandemic, there have been several lockdowns and restrictions of movement and gatherings in an effort to slow down the infection rate
AND WHEREAS as a result of these measures, many Kenyans have suffered the loss of jobs, the collapse of businesses, and loss of livelihoods
AND WHEREAS the Government has been unable to provide adequate public health services, PPEs, and vaccines for all those who most need them
AND WHEREAS Kenya’s economy continues to underperform, not only as a result of the pandemic but also due to endemic mismanagement and official corruption
AND WHEREAS in January 2021, in the middle of the pandemic and all its attendant painful consequences for the Kenyan people, President Uhuru Kenyatta, in his wisdom, decided to unlawfully award Members of the County Assemblies (MCAs) a car grant totalling KSh. 4.5 billion to entice them to support his narrow political agenda
AND WHEREAS President Uhuru Kenyatta’s government failed to prioritise adopting measures to cushion the suffering sectors of the economy including small businesses, the hospitality industry and artists, as well as low-income earning families
AND WHEREAS the government also failed to prioritise improving of public healthcare and the terms of service of medical personnel resulting in several strikes and unnecessary loss of life, and such indignities as a woman who had to give birth on the roadside outside the Pumwani Maternity Hospital
AND WHEREAS Kenya continues to borrow massive amounts of money including the $ 2.34 billion loan recently approved for Kenya by the International Monetary Fund (IMF)
AND WHEREAS by a letter dated 29 April 2021, the President was requested and required to recall and cancel the KSh. 4.5 billion car grant that he unlawfully awarded the MCAs in January 2021 and to apply the funds recovered to providing support for families and small businesses affected by the Covid-19 containment measures as well as to start repaying some of Kenya’s massive external debt
AND WHEREAS the President has failed, refused and or neglected to recall and cancel the said unlawful car grant and return our money to the Consolidated Fund as required
NOW, THEREFORE, WE THE PEOPLE OF KENYA do hereby proclaim as follows:
- THAT according to the Controller of Budget, the KSh. 4.5 billion car grant given to the MCAs by the President was unconstitutional, unlawful, null and void, but the President ignored her advice to this effect.
- THAT the car grant was in fact a raid on our Consolidated Fund to bribe the MCAs to entice them to pass the BBI Constitutional Amendment Bill
- THAT the President ignored all voices of reason that spoke up against the blatant misuse of the KSh. 4.5 billion at a time when most of the country was suffering from the effects of the pandemic upon their lives and livelihoods
- THAT the President seems to be under the mistaken impression that our public treasury is his personal property to use as he sees fit to pursue his personal political agendas
- THAT there comes a time when the people must draw a red line when it comes to the theft and misuse of their hard-earned taxes while they continue to suffer want and the indignity of not being able to meet their basic needs
- THAT We the People shall no longer stand aside and watch the President and his government unlawfully using our money to give luxuries to his supporters while the vast majority of the citizens can barely put food on the table
- THAT given the fact that the President has turned a deaf ear to We the People as we have demanded that he recalls and cancels the said unlawful car grant given to the MCAs, we now hereby directly exercise our sovereignty in accordance with the Constitution to recover our money from those who received it unlawfully from the President
- THAT therefore by this proclamation, We the People hereby demand that all the 2,224 MCAs who unlawfully received the KSh. 2 million car grant each must immediately Bring Our Money Back!
- For the avoidance of doubt, We the People hereby demand that each of the 2,224 MCAs must within seven (7) days of the date of this Proclamation refund to We the People the KSh. 2 million that was unlawfully used by President Uhuru Kenyatta to bribe them to support his BBI Constitutional Amendment Bill
- That Notice be and is hereby issued to the 2,224 MCAs to refund the said funds failing which We the People shall take the necessary steps to recover it from them with interest from the date of receipt to the final date of recovery without any further reference to them.
This Proclamation is issued at NAKURU this 27th Day of May 2021