NAWIRI Longitudinal Research Study
Job Title: Community Research Mobilizer
Reports to: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Manager County/Location: Isiolo County
Vacancies: 10 positions
USAID Nawiri Program is a USAID Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) funded 5-year Development Food Security Activity (DFSA) working in Turkana, Samburu, Isiolo and Marsabit Counties. Catholic Relief Services (CRS), which is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States, is leading a consortium of partners including Concern Worldwide, Village Enterprise, Tufts University, Gain, IBTCI, The Manoff Group, Caritas Isiolo and Caritas Marsabit, to implement the Nawiri Project in Isiolo and Marsabit counties.
In Isiolo County, The Nawiri project, through our local implementing partner Caritas Isiolo is currently recruiting a diverse team of community mobilizers for a two-year Longitudinal Research Study (2021-2D23). The study aims to understand how child malnutrition and its causes change over the different seasons in order to develop better nutrition programming and policy.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Working closely with Caritas, this position is responsible for the mobilization of respondents for the Nawiri quantitative longitudinal survey instrument and extended annual The survey covers numerous topics, such as food insecurity and water access, as well as gathers height, weight, and mid-upper arm circumference (MUAC) measurements of children under the age of five and MUAC from the adult female caretaker.
- This position requires extensive fieldwork in based in Isiolo Mobilization for data collection will take place every other month for 2 years. Mobilizers will be expected to spend approximately 15 days in the field 5 times a year for 2 years during the short surveys. In addition, mobilizers will also spend 20 days at the end of each year during the annual survey.
- The mobilizer will receive extensive training on the survey tool and survey procedures in order to be able to answer any questions from the community on the study and The mobilizer will also receive training on, and be responsible for, appropriate conduct in the communities and how to best communicate the research questions; share the pre-identified household list with key community leaders to help support mobilization; track down the location of the households on the list; answer or pass- on to the Data specialist any questions related to the research; and ultimately be responsible for mobilizing the households and their children under the age of five years to be available during data collection days.
- Attend and participate in a two-week mandatory training on the survey tool and data collection guidelines (3 times)
- Participate in testing the survey instrument at the end of the training (2 times)
- Mobilization for Data Collection
- Communicate the objectives of the research and ethical guidelines to community members
- Use the provided household lists to identify location of households
- Make sure communities and selected households know and are available on the day of data collection
- Track down households that enumerators were not able to
- Comply with all ethical standards
- Comply with all Covid-19 protocols/guidelines as specified by Nawiri and
- Work closely with the research specialist, Caritas MEAL manager and Project coordinator
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in social sciences, public health, or nutrition (or Certificate and Diploma Holders with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in data collection)
- Fluent spoken and written English and
- Good familiarity with Isiolo County, specifically in Garbatulla and Ngaremara
- Good understanding of the dynamic cultures of various local communities in Isiolo County.
- Good communicator and can work well with teams
- Experience in leading and managing teams is an added advantage
- Good at troubleshooting problems
- Experience in both quantitative and qualitative data collection in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands as an enumerator, supervisor, or
- Previous experience collecting adult and child anthropometry (Weight, Height, Oedema and MUAC)
- Familiarity with tablet technology (Digital Data Gathering)
- Availability during the full duration of the study (25 months covering the training and data collection every other month)
How to apply
Subject Line: Nawiri Research Enumerator, Isiolo County.
Send a cover letter and resume with names of 2-3 references and filled questionnaire attached below, addressed to;
The Director, Caritas Isiolo, P. O Box 162 — 60300, Isiolo, via both email address, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Deliver a hard copy of your application to Caritas Isiolo Office reception between 8 am and 5 pm, on a weekday.
Application Deadline: by 5 pm 31″ May 2021. Applications received after this date will not be considered. All applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Potential applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
[Incomplete applications will not be considered].