Job Title: Senior Human Resources Officer Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports to: Head of Human Resources Department: Human Resources & Administration
Start Date: January 2021
The AECF (Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund) is a nonprofit institution supporting early and growth stage businesses to innovate, create jobs, leverage investments and markets in an effort to create resilience and sustainable incomes for rural poor and marginalized communities in Africa.
AECF’s strategy is focused on agribusiness/agriculture and renewable energy sectors with increased support to climate technologies, deepened focus on gender, youth, and employment, aimed at attaining the institution’s vision of ‘A Prosperous and Enterprising Rural Africa’.
Since 2008, AECF has invested in 292 businesses across sub-Sahara Africa focusing on Agribusiness, Renewable Energy and Climate Technologies. As at 2019, we have impacted more than 27.7 million lives and created over 26,000 jobs and leveraged over US$ 750 million in matching funds from the private sector.
AECF has implemented programs across Africa delivering tangible impact for communities most in need.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Human Resources Officer to support the Human Resources function.
AECF is headquartered in Kenya with offices in Cote d’ Ivoire and Tanzania.
The role holder will provide functional expertise that drives productivity and results across a variety of our Program focus. The Senior HRO will handle generalist responsibilities including onboarding of new staff, employee relations, learning and development, performance & talent management, recruitment workflow, people metrics/reporting, partnering with line management on HR and business needs and special projects. The Senior HRO will also work closely with the Head of Human Resources to create and drive talent and business strategy across the organization in addition to coordinating HR practices and objectives that will provide an engaging work environment, high-performance culture that emphasizes valuing people, growth, fun and is results driven to deliver on impact.
• Initiating transparent and competitive recruitment and selection processes (from the review of job descriptions to the screening of candidates) as well as ensuring the timely management of the process.
• Provide advice on recruitment and selection processes in line with corporate guidelines and policies, leading to the timely sourcing, selection and placement of the required talent.
• Provide advice on effective succession management and workforce planning through timely and accurate projection of vacancies and staffing requirements.
• Prepares job offers for successful candidates and relaying feedback to unsuccessful candidates.
• Provides advice on the performance management and development (PMD) process and regularly monitor PMD completion rates, providing updates to senior management.
• Facilitating trainings to embrace a performance management culture in the organization
• Provide advice and support to managers and staff on human resources related matters.
• Advocate for the best application of HR practices, staffing, development, and organizational planning and design.
• Review policies and procedures and recommend changes as required.
• Participate and/or lead special human resources projects.
• Keep abreast of developments in various areas of human resources.
Compensation and Benefits
• Ensure all employees personal files are kept systematically and update information as necessary while assuring confidentiality.
• Ensure the adequacy of employee benefits and compliance with the same (GPA/GLA/Medical/ EL etc.)
• Lead in carrying out regular compensation surveys every two years ensure the organization remains competitive.
Staff development and career support
• Identify and analyses staff development and career support needs and design programs to meet identified needs.
• Prepare monitoring reports on staff development and career support programs.
• Provide advice on mobility and career development to staff.
• Assesses training needs in liaison with the Head of HR and respective Line Managers.
• Assist in identify training programs and programs for staff at all levels throughout the organization
• Prepare and interpret workforce data and statistics using the HRIS or other Business Intelligence Enterprise platforms and make recommendations on workforce requirements based on HR analytics
• Support in Organizational Development (Organizational Culture, Organizational Structures, HR systems review).
• Supports AECF change management, by providing advice on the implementation and monitoring of corporate HR programs, and by advocating for the best application of HR practices.
• Advises and counsels staff in respect of rights, responsibilities, code of conduct and difficulties associated with work and entitlements.
• Participate in relevant projects, leading and championing as appropriate AECFs reputation as a world class organization and employer of choice.
• Build relationships and form alliances with external counterparts, communities of practice and stakeholders to scan for innovations and opportunities to form partnerships.
Required qualifications, experience and competencies:
• Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized institution.
• A member of the Institute of Human Resources Management-Kenya (IHRM) in good standing.
• Higher National Diploma or CHRP qualifications is mandatory.
• A minimum of 5 years working experience in a HR function at an Officer or Senior Officer level.
• Solid expertise in HR technical proficiencies and core HR competencies with experience in coaching, employee development and driving process improvements, conducting Job Evaluations.
• Proven ability to plan long-term, organize priorities and work under administrative and programmatic pressures with detail orientation and professional grace.
• Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to manage situations diplomatically and to effective resolution.
• Knowledge of Eastern, Southern and West Africa operating environment an added advantage
• Experience in providing HR advise to managers and staff.
• Experience in HR Management in an international organization is desirable.
• Experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system / HRIS system.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills fluency in French will be an added advantage.
• Attention to detail.
• Adaptability & teamwork
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The AECF considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour, national origin, religion, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “Senior Human Resources Officer’’– AECF/NOV/SHRO/2020” and attach a detailed CV with correct e-mail address and telephone contacts. To be considered, your application must be received by Friday 4thDecember 2020 addressed to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please visit