Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development, and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society. ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 50 projects in 30 countries and total revenues of $174 million.
ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 49 projects in 30 countries and total revenues of $151 million. ACDI/VOCA is currently implementing the Feed the Future Kenya Livestock Market System (LMS) Activity funded by USAID seeking to strengthen people’s resilience in Northern Kenya and reduce poverty, hunger, and chronic under nutrition through expanding and diversifying viable economic opportunities and strengthening community capacities for resilience and growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the identification and screening of livelihood groups and individuals for engagement in income diversification and workforce development & youth employability activities.
- Participate in the dissemination of key program information, identification of program beneficiaries and in assessments and screening of applicants for grants (Small, Large and Innovation)
- Assist in building the capacity of selected livelihood groups, small holders, SACCOs, LMAS, and businesses through facilitated and cost-shared training, mentoring and coaching with County Governments and SRC STTA.
- Mobilize entrepreneurs and livelihood groups/individuals to attend learning visits, trade fairs and important annual events such as B2Bs, trade fairs “pasture week”, in conjunction with PREG partners. Facilitate the formation of business networking among the entrepreneurs and livelihood groups
- Oversee the internships/apprenticeship activities, and assist County Program Manager (CPM) in planning/implementing Journey to Self-Reliance (J2SR) related facilitation activities on workforce development, TVET, Public Service Boards and/or Biashara center strengthening (depending on priorities set per county)
- Carry out monitoring of livelihood and Large Grants activities at county level (including support to Operational Performance Index, M&E activities); collate information that will contribute to Communities products, including human interest stories, case studies as well to the program monthly and quarterly reports.
- Assist and build the capacity of selected businesses to develop and prepare their business plans and make necessary recommendations. This will include providing technical support in the following areas
- Identifying potential markets and requirements for entrance to the market e.g. through market assessments and strategies that will provide enterprise growth and profitability.
- Developing enterprise operational strategies to include: identification of infrastructure and other resources needed for the enterprise/investment to achieve profitability- to include actual costing, cash flows, realistic assumptions and benchmarks, requisite standards, and risk mitigation plans; highlighting concrete steps to be taken by the selected businesses to ensure effective and efficient operations
- Facilitating the coaching and mentoring support to Large grantees after the award to ensure sustainable and profitable operations.
- Work with STTA consultants to put in place and monitor financial management systems that will lead to business sustainability
- Assist grantees in obtaining required licenses, permits, land papers and certification,
- Identify risks and challenges related to program delivery in a timely manner and suggest appropriate remedial measures to the Supervisor; document and share lessons learned for cross county learning.
- Undertake development of reports (activity, quarterly and annual report)
- Engage county government in co creation for monthly activity planning and annual work plans
- Facilitate the implementation of the gender strategy/action plan and deliberately target women, youth and local community with program activities
- As assigned by the CPM, represent ACDI/VOCA at PREG, county government or other stakeholders’ meetings.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Entrepreneurship, Business Management, Livestock Marketing, Agribusiness Management, International Relations, Development Studies, Pastoral Livestock Systems Development or a related field.
- At least 3 years’ working experience in Livestock value chain or closely related field preferably with NGOs
- Experience in MSME development, and similar fields will be an added advantage.
- Strong writing, analytical, presentation and reporting skills.
- Ability to travel within the North-Eastern Kenya regions. Extensive field travel is expected.
Method of Application
Please submit a resume to: HRKenya@acdivoca.org
In the subject line, please include the position title.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. Closing Date : 18th August, 2020