VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO: 001/2021
POSITION: COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (TO BE BASED IN MOGADISHU, SOMALIA)
ABOUT African Volunteers for Relief and Development (AVORD)
AVORD is a non-profit organization operating in Somalia to deliver both emergency relief and long-term development programs. Since its inception, AVORD has implemented numerous projects that have contributed to saving the lives of communities in humanitarian emergencies while fostering livelihood opportunities and sustainable income sources.
AVORD is currently seeking a dynamic, mission-oriented and qualified Communications Officer to support its growing portfolio of programs. The position will be based in Mogadishu with frequent travel to other areas of the country as needed.
In collaboration with the program team, the Communications Officer will contribute to our communications strategy, write and disseminate publicity material and maintain swift communication with our stakeholders. The incumbent will also be expected to meet and exceed the organization’s performance and delivery goals.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the programmes coordinator of AVORD, the Communications Officer will assume the following roles and responsibilities:
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicates the organization’s activities, products and services.
- Compile human-interest anecdotes and program accomplishments for wide circulation to outside stakeholders.
- Maintain swift communication with funding agencies and provide constant updates on program developments.
- Ensure donor visibility in program activities.
- Respond to media inquiries as needed, and maintain effective relationships with journalists.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics.
- Undertake any other tasks as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES:
- A minimum of bachelors degree in Journalism, or related field is required.
- Minimum of two years of experience in an NGO setting.
- Demonstrated experience in problem analysis and reporting.
- Team-oriented with strong collaborative relations across the organization, in both the program and program support departments.
- Good leadership and negotiating skills
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates meeting the position requirements are highly encouraged to send their applications, comprising of a CV and a Cover Letter by January 7th 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org, Quoting “Communications Officer” in the subject line.
AVORD offers an equal employment opportunity to all applicants without considering nationality, gender, race and ethnicity.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.