Finance Officer (FNT/EOI/32/2020/)
Functionally Reports to Finance, Administration and Human Resource Manager
Overall Purpose of the Job
The Finance Officer will handle general accounting and finance operations as required of a very busy multi-donor funded NGO. Assignments will include budgeting for financial resources required by FEMNET, report on the utilisation of financial resources through variance analysis, and ensure financial resources are utilised within the stipulated policies, and contractual agreements. In addition, the position will ensure compliance with donor financial reporting and forecasting requirements, Kenyan laws and regulations, and FEMNET procurement policies and procedures.
Terms of Reference
Main Duties include:
- Financial, Management Accounting and Control
- Being one of the main data entry persons into the accounting system to produce periodic and end of year Income and expenditure, financial position, cash flows, fully reconciled bank reconciliations etc.
- Produces monthly, quarterly year-end actual v budget (variance) analysis and other management information that may be required from time to time.
- Drafts multi-year organisational and specific programme activity budgets.
- Monitors technical implementation of grants to ensure timely progress and according to submitted technical reports, proposed strategy, and work plans.
- Supports the Finance HR and Admin. department in ensuring full compliance with policies & procedures, particularly around cash, advances, banking, and assets.
- Supports in safeguarding of the assets of the organisation, including the maintenance of the Fixed Asset register.
- As may be assigned, supports finance and admin. department in its function as procurement focal centre, to drive the implementation of procurement policies and plans, aimed at cost effective acquisition of high-quality materials, goods, consultancies, and non-consultancy services.
- Preparing cash forecasts to identify monthly funding requirements to optimise resources and deliver value for money.
- Contributing on operational and strategic issues as a member of the Finance and Admin. Team.
- Donor Compliance
- Ensures compliance with all financial reporting and forecasting requirements of specific donors projects and the institution, and ensuring the smooth flow of funds from funding sources;
- Ensures expenditure are incurred and reported in line with contractual agreements.
- Ensures project financial reports are compiled, aligned with narrative reports and submitted in a timely manner to keep all stake holders informed.
- Administration, Logistics, Legal and Statutory Compliance
- Ensures transactions processed fully comply with host country- Kenyan laws and regulations.
- Supporting department and/or unit head in identifying and implementing financial, legislative and /or statutory changes that may affect the organisation’s operations;
- Other Duties
- Making capital investment decisions using the most popular methods (ARR, PP, NPV, IRR);
- Carrying out Cost-Volume-Profit analysis through deep understanding of Fixed and stepped fixed costs, variable and semi-variable costs and the relationships between the costs, volume and profit.
- Carrying out Break-even analysis and associated risk analysis (doing marginal analysis for short term decisions, operating gearing etc.) for pricing decisions, efficiency in use of resources –limiting factor, closing, or continuing operations etc.
- Undertaking any other duties that might be assigned, from time to time.
Key Performance Indicators
- Monthly, Quarterly and Annual actual v budget (variance) analysis and other management information.
- A number of specific project financial reports that are aligned with narrative reports and submit in a timely manner to keep all stakeholders informed depending on the donor requirements
- Compliance with policies & procedures, particularly around cash advances
- Several budget proposals aligned with narrative proposals for donor review, verification, and acceptance for funding.
- Support to Sub-grant compliance issues
- Preparation of complete audit schedule for annual audited financial statements in compliance with relevant international standards.
Academic Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the following: accounting, finance, business-related field, economics or related discipline.
- Qualified Accountant CPA (K), ACCA, CMA or equivalent qualifications
- At least 3 years’ experience in accounting and finance preferably in an international or a regional not for profit organization/ NGO.
Knowledge and Skills
- Must have knowledge and hands-on experience in use of networked SAP ERP on-premises or cloud-based system and most recent version of QuickBooks.
- Knowledge and experience in generating a variety of programme/ activity and annual organisational budgets.
- Working knowledge of NGO Accounting, financial reporting and audit standards as well as generally accepted practices.
- Advance knowledge and use of information management skills
- Working experience with donor conditions like EU, DFID, Sida among others.
- Basic working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
Desired Behavioural attributes
- Integrity and ethics: High integrity and ethical behaviour in all dealings and ensure that own behaviour is consistent with FEMNET’s values and standards
- Professionalism: Demonstrates high standards and expertise in all areas of work
- Result-oriented: Consistently meet set goals, focused and goal oriented.
- Emotional intelligence, use information to guide thinking and behaviour
- Resilience to work well with others despite any challenges.
- Team player/ Interpersonal relations: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally to achieve the goals; information flow, and relationship management
- Excellent reporting and analysis of work done factoring work environment
- Flexibility to wade through the dynamic NGO world
- Attention to detail, and good judgment.
- Demonstrates commitment to gender equality and women’s and girls’ rights
Remuneration will be in line with the set procedures of the organizations which consider the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Applications: Interested applicants should send their application letter accompanied by resume with names and addresses of 3 professional referees (including telephone and e-mail) Applications are by e-mails only, sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the reference on the subject line as Finance Officer (Ref: FNT/EOI/32/2020), Deadline for submission of applications is on 24th November 2020
Please note: Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only candidates who have been selected for interview will be contacted. The position is open to African citizens who are legible to work in Kenya, young women & women living with disability are encouraged to apply