JOB TITLE: Project Officer-Online content creation (Short-term contract)
DEPARTMENT: Communications & Membership
SALARY RANGE: Kshs 180,000-200,000 gross salary
PROJECT DURATION:2nd November 2020 to 31st January 2021 (with a possibility of extension)
REPORTS TO: Communications & Membership Manager
POSTS THAT THIS JOB MANAGES: None
OTHER KEY RELATIONSHIPS: Campaign Managers, Policy Analyst, all Kenya team, relevant IS global thematic staff
By bridging the digital human rights education divide in collaboration with BRCK based in Nairobi, Kenya, we will inform, engage and activate millions of Kenyans around national values and human rights principles. BRCK’s Moja network currently reaches 2 million people making it one of the largest public WiFi networks on the continent. Amnesty has the largest human rights membership and supporter base in the country backed by a global movement of 10 million supporters.
While Amnesty Kenya is proactively and nationally vocal and visible, works in at least three significant alliances (Police Reforms Working Group, Housing Coalition, Health People’s Alliance among others and has quadrupled its membership to 1,000 paid up members and 17,000 supporters as of September 1, we and other human rights networks do not currently have the scale to cause a movement and momentum behind key constitutional freedoms, rights and responsibilities. The drums of negative ethnicity, zero-sum politics and conflict are already framing 2022 elections.
As we approach the 2022 General Elections, we must remember every election for the last twenty years has been a potential trigger for displacement, destruction and death. Modern violence is as Kenyan sadly, as the red in our beloved national flag. If the season that tears us apart is upon us again, we shall have to be wise, strategic and #BRAVE. Fortunately, there are thousands of Kenyans who seek to protect, heal and interrupt cycles of violence by gathering up the pieces of our nation.
This project seeks to work with the MOJA outdoor public free WIFI network to connect to over one million people and provide human rights entertainment (music, podcasts, videos), information (rights, facts, membership information and helpline) and survey audiences (topical and audience listening). BRCK could provide access to 800,000 MOJA platforms which have a range of 20 meters and explore possible interface and synergy with 2,000 activator/agents. Amnesty and BRCK will seek to see whether this model could work with another project to establish 4G towers across informal settlements.
Key responsibilities of the role
- Design & schedule appropriate and exciting content tailor-made for specific audience needs.
- Map out audience needs and preferences through consistent feedback surveys.
- Curate and create audiovisual, audio and visual content and where necessary commission the services of third-party consultants to do the same.
- Establish seamless feedback loops and swift response mechanisms.
- Organize for listening sessions and focus group discussions.
- Establish a keen interest in the online content creation eco-system, providing key learning points, potential collaborations and best practices.
- Work with the Communications Manager to formulate a robust and innovative online content strategy.
Skills and experience
- At least a Bachelors degree in a relevant field (journalism, communications, gender, community development, human rights, international development or other social science)
- Commitment to Amnesty’s organizational values and vision and Kenyan Constitution
- Familiarity with the rights-based approach, social justice, citizen empowerment and gender-sensitive approaches;
- An understanding and appreciation of data privacy & protection laws in Kenya
- At least 3 years relevant experience in content creation and curation;
- Proven use of design tools and software (canvas, photoshop among others)
- Proven use of survey tools (survey monkey, google forms among others)
- Proven ability to react to fast-changing political situations, exercising and promoting creative thinking;
- A confident communicator with good analytical, presentation and digital skills;
- Ability to work in teams and proven ability to multi-task and work to deadlines, sometimes under pressure
- Demonstrated experience use of social media (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram among others)
Send your cover letter and resume in a single PDF file to email@example.com and Indicate in your subject heading “Application for Project Officer-Online content creation”
All applications must be received before or on October 27, 2020, by 12 midnight (Nairobi time).
Amnesty International Kenya is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Due to a high number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.